Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6536 results found

1. Fully justified Arabic text drops the final period of paragraph when kashidas are on

In InDesign 19.00 and 19.01, if you set Arabic text to justify with last line aligned right and kashidas turned on, the final period of the paragraph drops from PDF output. This seems to happen only in RTL scripts; I can't recreate it in Latin script. Thread with details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/missing-dots-at-the-end-of-pharagraph-when-exporting-a-pdf-from-indesign/m-p/14265941#M552557

I've uploaded a PDF showing the missing periods, but when attempting to upload the corresponding INDD file, I get an error dialog claiming that "the following files are not supported and have been removed". Same is true if I zip it before attempting to upload... and I can't find a…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Problem in the ME version in the latest update 19.0

In the latest update of the InDesign 19.0 there is a problem with paragraph direction. Even if it is set to right to left it still remains left to right

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When you wake up, open documents are not visible on the external monitor. Everything is just greyed out.

If I put my MacBook Pro to sleep with work on an external monitor, when I turn it on at another place with an external monitor, all open documents are grayed out and do not display any object. The objects are selectable, but I can't see what's in them. Switching display modes, minimizing or dragging between displays doesn't help either.
    Apple M1 Max, Sonoma 14.0, InDesign 19.0

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. RTL in Indesign 2024

I'm from Israel and use Adobe Cloud English supports Hebrew.
    In InDesign 2024 (19) I see a bug, that the alignment to RTL does not work correctly. Even documents created properly in 2023 (18) appear distorted. The Hebrew text loses its position in relation to punctuation marks, numbers and foreign letters.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Two Monitors - UI Window Always Loads Off Screen - Can't Resize Mac OS 14.5

This has been a bug for at least 5 years with InDesign (see link at the bottom of the post).

When a Mac user has two monitors, if the primary monitor is situated "lower" than the secondary monitor in a side-by-side configuration in the Display "Arrange" setting (see screenshot, main display is laptop, on right), then the windows will always load slightly off screen, locking the user out of moving them or rearranging them.

There is a temporary fix to put the main monitor "higher" than the secondary monitor in the horizontal arrangement.

However, this is an unacceptable long term…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Flashing screen on selecting text

Adobe InDesign 2024

When highlighting text with text tool or selecting multiple items with the selection tool and dragging with the mouse held down, the screen flashes rapidly between the document and plain white - this makes the ID document contents not visible on the screen so you can't actually see what you are doing - eg can't see what text is being highlighted

Please fix asap - it is making ID virtually unusable!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. OpenType features bug, missing glyphs on PDF export and convert to outlines

I've run into a bug when converting text to outlines, and PDF export, relating to OpenType Features.

I have a font, Chartwell, that has worked perfectly in InDesign for 13+ years. I recently received this bug report from a customer, but am able to recreate it on my end.

In InDesign’s UI, everything still seems to work correctly. However, when exporting a PDF or converting the text to outlines, some glyphs disappear completely. (See image)

The font uses complex Discretionary Ligatures to pull off substituting pie chart shapes. The issue doesn't appear for all discretionary ligatures, but something about this…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign resets window position set by Magnet utility on macOS

In the current v19.4 (2024), when I use the common utility Magnet to resize the InDesign window (i.e. the Application Frame) to full screen, InDesign itself will reset the window position as soon as I ⌘-tab out of InDesign and return to it. No other app on my Mac does this, and it's very frustrating. Manual window size changes are honoured.

There are other inconcistencies about InDesign's window positioning on macOS too — if it opens on my laptop screen, the application bar (above the control panel) appears under the menu bar and is almost invisible.

Please fix.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Multi-character input from Indic keyboards failing

Tested in InDesign 2023 18.5.1 and 2024 19.1, on Mac OS Ventura 13.4

Several Indic keyboard layouts include keys that input a sequence of more than one character as a shortcut for typing the common –ra,, r–, or other syllabic forms that Unicode encodes as a sequence of multiple characters. So, for example, the Mac Sinhala keyboard assigns the following multi-character sequences to individual keys:

[`] = ්‍ර (rakārānsaya, U+0DCA U+200D U+0DBB)

[Shift]+[`] = ර්‍ (repaya, U+0DBB U+0DCA U+200D)

[Shift]+[H] = ්‍ය (yansaya, U+0DCA U+200D U+0DBA)

But in InDesign only the first character of each sequence is input, the second…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The link is set to "anyone with link can comment" but it's still requiring a password

I have created a share for review link for others to comment on, however it's requiring them to log into an account even though it's set to "Anyone with the link can comment". This was not the case before, others could comment as a guest. Using InDesign 2024 v19.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. current page marker font malfunction if 3 digits or more

The third digit and beyond in the "current page number" marker is distorted in certain fonts, and almost appears to be an old style number (shifted down and squished), even when I set the font's Figure Style to "Proportional Lining" under Paragraph Style > OpenType Features > Figure Style. In fact, it also seems to do it in automated footnote reference numbers, where control of the Figure Style doesn’t seem to work either. However, when I just type out the number using the same style, it appears correct. This issue appears to be in Adobe InDesign 2024 (19.3), but when…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Scrolling is glitchy or nonfunctional in InDesign 2024

Scrolling with a mouse (not the trackpad) through a document vertically or horizontally works, but not always. Zooming in by holding Alt and then scrolling is unusable because trying to zoom in causes everything to zoom all the way out, and continuing to try to zoom in only works sometimes.

I have tried this with multiple mouses, and the issue does not occur in any other program, including InDesign 2023.

In the attached video, I am holding Alt and trying to zoom in.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Pages panel doesn't scroll all the way down

When the pages panel is filled up vertically with the pages, and when the panel is set to "View Pages > Horizontally," the panel does not scroll all the way to the bottom, and the page numbers of the bottom pages are cut off.

This is easily reproducible in any new document with reset InDesign preferences.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Copy and Paste from Share for Review Comments panel not working

You used to be able to copy/paste directly from the REVIEW panel COMMENT when you receive feedback. Now it won't allow you to copy what someone has reviewed and suggested as replacement text. This is very important as it makes it much more efficient to copy it from within InDesign rather than swapping between screens to do it from the browser. Please can you fix this! Thank you!

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Missing library links cause repeating error message

When links are in an inaccessible CC Library, instead of "Missing" (red dot in status column) the links are "Waiting" (stopwatch icon in status column).
    This also causes repeated errors "This file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the user closes it."
    So far, the only path forward is to repeatedly dismiss the error and try to relink the artwork before the error re-appears. This has to be done for each "missing" link.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. slowdown

Indesign is slow on opening and closing documents. I have reset preferences, installed the app and reinstalled, disabled plugins...everything I can think of to make it better. It's almost unusable. The forums are no help, I've tried the GPU toggle and their suggestions. It just sits there. This video doesn't show the spinning beachball but I get when opening or closing documents. It has destroyed my workflow and speed. What is there to do?

Mac Studio 2023 M3 Ultra, 64gb ram, 2TB HD, Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1, InDesign 19.4

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. new features

STOP INTERRUPTING MY WORKFLOW WITH YOUR STUPID ADVERTISEMENTS FOR NEW FEATURES!!!!!! F OFF ADOBE

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. links don't work on exported PDFs when opened in Microsoft Edge

Hi there, so in my work I regularly have to make PDF's that have links and tables of contents. They also need to be printable.

To do this I build them in InDesign and Export as 'Adobe PDF (Print)'. This results in a file that navigates with the view I want with working links and the right colours etc.

BUT not on Microsoft Edge. Its taken quite a while to realise that that links don't work there. They will work in Firefox, Chrome and Acrobat with no trouble. PDF's made in other programs (I only tested Microsoft Word) work fine…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Diagonal Lines no border

Having an issue with using diagonal lines in cell options. I'm wanting to split a cell diagonally with two different colours. The fill works fine as intended but the border isn't working at all. When you zoom right in on the cell it looks fine but when zoomed out it disappears. It also doesn't show up when exported as a PDF as you can see in the screenshot. My workaround has been to duplicate the table on top and then remove the diagonal lines fill, set the fill to none and then the border shows just fine. Not ideal having…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. .svg library assets are not supported anymore at version 19.3

Elements from the library with the .svg file format are no longer supported in version 19.3. In Illustrator the assates still works.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base